|Located on the Museum's fourth floor, the exhibit explores thirty years of the pop music scene in Los Angeles, and its related culture, politics, and popular art.
The GRAMMY Museum has partnered with University of Southern California Professor Josh Kun, who is serving as co-curator.
The Ash Grove’s Extended Family has collected and contributed media, displayed in an interactive media table, for this exhibition.
Ash Grove Documentary Trailer
This 8 minute trailer tells the story of the club through interviews with owner, Ed Pearl, Ry Cooder, Taj Mahal, Dave Alvin, and others, with archival clips of many of the Ash Grove performers.
Ash Grove 50th Anniversary Concert
This trailer is a montage of but a few of the many performers who appeared at the 50th Anniversary Reunion Concert at Royce Hall, UCLA in 2008. Included are Arlo Guthrie, Taj Mahal, Ramblin’ Jack Elliot, Dave Alvin, Michelle Shocked, The Freedom Singers and others. Videos courtesy of a documentary film in progress by filmmakers Aiyana Elliot and Jerry Kay.
Muddy Waters Live at the Ash Grove
Videos produced by Taylor Hackford.
Courtesy of Wolfgang’s Vault.
Music from the Original Ash Grove
1. BACK TO THE ASHGROVE - Dave Alvin
2. SITTIN’ ON TOP OF THE WORLD -
Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass Boys
3. LORDY LORDY - Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee
4. STAGERLEE - Ramblin’ Jack Elliot
5. ABERDEEN BLUES - Booker White
6. MEET ME ROUND THE BOTTOM - Mance Lipscomb
7. LEE HIGHTWAY BLUES - Doc Watson
8. LITTLE BOXES - Pete Seeger
9. WILDWOOD FLOWER - Maybelle Carter
10. Goin’ Down That Dirt Road - Taj Mahal
11. NINE POUND HAMMER & GOODNIGHT - Merle Travis
Photographs of Ash Grove Performers
by Phil Melnick All photographs © 2009 Phil Melnick
Original Posters from the Ash Grove
We invite you to visit this exhibition,
which will be open
2/22/2012 – 06/03/2012
800 W. Olympic Blvd. #A245, Los Angeles, CA 90015
M-F 11:30am-7:30pm S-S 10:00am - 7:30pm
Tickets are $12.95 or less, Parking $5.00 2hrs
for more information