Ash Grove Overview
The original Ash Grove
8162 Melrose Avenue
15 years, beginning in 1958, the Ash Grove presented music as
a major voice for the experiences, beliefs and feelings of communities
and peoples. It was an important focus in the lives of over 100,000
Los Angelenos. The performance standards and creative interplay
among musicians, young and old, produced many great artists, enriched
the lives of audiences, and gave the club a leading role in the
culture of a generation.
a fire closed it in 1973, no other institution has appeared
which approximates the standards, the musical force, or the
integration of cultures and ages of the Ash Grove audience.
On his way out of the Ash. Grove one night, Mick,
Jagger, a frequent visitor to the club, shook Pearl's hand in
gratitude. He simply wanted to thank Pearl for all the entertainment-and
no doubt musical education-the club had given him. It's a gesture
a lot of us should make. The Ash Grove's contribution to this
city's musical heritage was invaluable.
--Robert Hilburn, Los Angeles Times,
Dec 15, 1973
for checking out our web site.